* Vegetarian modifications included
This is a family favorite for us and the children always cheer when I announce that we're having it. It's very flavorful, yet simple, inexpensive, healthy, is great to put on for company, or to bring to a friend in need. *smile* We love to serve it with shredded co-jack cheese, chopped onions, corn chips, and/or corn bread on the side.
This is a large recipe (already doubled), so if you have a smaller group you may want to cut it in half. Although, it is great to freeze and have on hand for later!
- 2 cans Black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans Pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 cans Red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 onion, diced (or 2 tsp. onion powder), plus some to top chili with
- 3 Tbl. Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 15 oz. cans Tomato sauce
- 2-3 c. Water
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients.
- Heat to boiling, then simmer 40 minutes; or for crockpot may heat on low all day.
* Vegetarian Modifications:
- Leave out the meat
- Add 1 additional can each of black beans and pinto beans.
Blessings on your meal times!
You might also be interested in some other recipes: