As always, one of our family's very favorites. *smile* This recipe tastes amazing, and is so good for you! It is chocked full of veggies but it is pureed so it's creamy, and is a vegetarian recipe outside of chicken broth. I serve it with bread, and sour cream as an optional condiment.
Serves 8 - doubles easily in a large soup pot
Prep. time about 60 min.
(Do not crock pot, will curdle)
- 4 c. milk
- 3-1/2 c. chicken broth (or two 13.75 oz. cans)
- 4 Tbl. butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced (equal to about 25 "baby carrots")
- 1 lg. onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 Tbl. corn starch
- 6 Tbl. flour
- 1-1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbl. parsley, finely chopped
- 4 Tbl. chives or green onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 2-2/3 c. grated cheddar cheese
* Preheat the milk and chicken broth in a medium-size pot so it is hot when the vegetables are ready.
* Melt the butter in a large pot, then add the leek, carrots, onion, celery (I use a food processor for ease and speed in slicing) and saute slowly until soft, about 25 min.
Tip: Slicing instead of chopping the vegetables in the food processor will make it easier to scoop them out later to puree them.
* Add the corn starch and flour to the vegetables and stir to blend well.
* Add the heated milk and chicken broth to the large pot of vegetables. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
* With a slotted spoon or pasta server, scoop out all of the vegetables from the soup and puree them in a blender, then return them to the soup broth and mix well with a wire whisk.
* Add the salt, parsley, chives, cayenne pepper and mix well. Then add cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
* Serve and enjoy! *smile!*
Blessings on your meal!
You may also enjoy: