Yield – 16 servings
This is one of our favorite dinners, and an especially nice way to serve dinner for company. It’s really yummy, plentiful, and can be prepared easily in advance and stay hot until the company actually arrives (we all have times when we are less punctual than we intended! *smile*)
- 2 lbs ground beef, browned
- 2 (28 oz.) jars spaghetti sauce (I used “Garlic & Onion” or something)
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic, chopped (I used jarred)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ c. water
- 24 oz. container cottage cheese (3 c.)
- 4 c. mozzarella cheese (I use finely shredded, low-moisture)
- 12 lasagna noodles (not oven-ready; use reg. ones, white or wheat)
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Combine cottage & mozzarella cheeses in another bowl, mix well. Layer in bottom of lightly-greased electric crockpot:
3 noodles, broken in to thirds to fit the oblong shape better
3 c. meat sauce (reserve some to top-off with)
½ of cheese mixture
Repeat 1x (approx. 8 layers total), ending with a little extra sauce before the cheese at the end. Cover and cook on high setting 1 to 1 ½ hrs.; reduce heat and cook on low setting for an additional 2-5 hrs. My crockpot cooks extra hot, so I cook for the lower end of this spectrum. May make ahead and store in refrigerator!
(This was originally a Duggar family recipe, but the ingredients have been modified by my mom who is an excellent cook, and this is a half recipe of what the Duggar's cook for their family of 21).
Happy, healthy eating!
You may also be interested in: